Ciao Y'all...

My March edition of Southern Living came in the mail... So after about a week of staring at the cover with a strawberry cream cheese swirl pound cake on it... I decided it was high time I made me one..
which is just what I did.. but lordy lordy that recipe called for 3 cups of sugar.. so I baked with splenda..
and boy it was good...
which brings me to my love of baking..  I love, and I mean absolutely LOVE baking and cooking.. if it was all I had to do, I would do it..  at least once a week I make fresh bread.. different kinds, whether it be whole wheat, egg bread, pumpernickel or honey wheat.. I like to mix it up..
Baking is therapeutic... When I was studying for my doctorate and I had big tests.. I baked off my stress.. it relaxes me.. I just enjoy making cookies.  
and especially around Christmas.. Christmas is not Christmas without a cheesecake and Struffoli...
Struffoli I have been making since I was a little girl, every year my grandmother would call and say it was time to make Struffolis.. so I would go up and my grandfather would mix the dough and we'd begin cutting up the little dough balls and grandma would fry them.. then we would make the honey mixture to coat them with... oh they are amazing..
But years have went by and My grandfather has passed away, but I will never forget what it was like to bake with him and my grandmother over the holidays.
this year.. by myself for the first time since my grandpa passed away...I made struffoli.. and introduced this "interesting" treat to a very wonderful southern family... 

Here is a picture from the last time My Grandfather and I made Struffoli



Now don't think the only thing I do is bake.. I make some wonderful real food too.. Like this one dish I call shrimp a la Greek... My Cowboy LOVEs this dish.. Since Shrimp is one of his favorites..
I love Stuffed peppers as well.. mmmmm..

I make all sorts of "fancy" stuff my cowboy never had.. but he don't complain.. and I make a lot of southern stuff too..  He loves Broccoli casserole, so I try to make that a lot, and home made biscuits.. mmmm hmmmmmmmmm we have biscuits and gravy every sunday...

But, all this magic happens in my little country kitchen... that I absolutely love...



Comments

Popular Posts