F is for Fire burnin' the whole barn......

Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

As y'all know, I've been remodeling of sorts. And I was painting one of the other barns that I was fixin' up Red.  And it was looking mighty Nice.
Nice until last night.
My father and my cowboy were burning some old wood and scrap stuff behind this barn in a fire pit. I mean it was a hole dug in the ground about 3 feet deep.
I was helping them for a while, until it was about supper time and I needed to start cooking.  So I'm in the house minding my own business chopping up vegetables. When I hear some frantic banging on the door..  I walk over to the door it is the elderly couple from next door (whom I absolutely love).  She says "did you know your barn is on fire!?"  I said "naaaah they were burning behind the barn." she says "you better go look!". So I walk out there.. and my eyes must have popped out of my head. I said "IT'S ON FIRE".  So I go running into the milking barn where my dad and cowboy were.  I said calmly "The barn is on fire honey" He says "what?" so I said again "the barn is burning". He said the same thing that I said "naah" until he saw it.  Then started running across the field to the back hoe.  My neighbors were looking at me, so I said "well I need to go turn off supper, y'all go ahead and go back there if y'all want."  So off they went on their golf cart.
sadly to say.. the barn is lost.  Nothing was inside of it, It was completely empty, So thank God there were no animals or anyone hurt.
Eventually our neighbors left and the three of us stood there watching it burn..  I was quite fond of the barn.  I was going to make it a little canned food storage place for me.  But, it's ok it just wasn't meant to be.
So I went back in the house to finish fixing super.  And I loaded a 6 pack of bud lite and the steak fajita's I had made up into the back of my truck and drove up there to the burning pile of what used to be a little barn.   I put down the tailgate, laid out the lettuce, salsa, cheese, sour cream, chips, pork rinds, fajita goodness and meat. And we had ourselves a little tailgate party watching the "barn" fire.

Now a quick story about our neighbors... Last year when we moved in, They came over on their little golf cart, just full of squash, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes and all kinds of vegetables that they had grown.  Gave us more food then we could eat.  But I froze it and have since then used it all.  They just came over to introduce themselves, they were nice people.  So the next week they came over and we got to learn a little bit more about them. He used to work on the dairy here on our farm, He knows ALL kinds of stories about this place. It is amazing. And he met his wife in Berlin.  He was in the army in World War II.  And he met her and they got married and when the war was over, they both moved here.  That right there is a sweet story.  He also served in Vietnam and he has agent orange, and has a few health problems, and asks me for advice every now and then.  I have a lot of respect for veterans and I wish their health care was better.  I see it with my own eyes when I go with my cowboy to the VA, he's retired a Marine.. But They never really retire.  But the VA system is a little poor if you ask me.  Especially their Orthopedics division, Holy Crap!. But that's another story for another day.
I baked our neighbors a pumpkin spice cake one night in October and brought it over to them, And she returned the favor with some pickled peppers and drink coasters that she crochet.
I just couldn't have asked for nicer people to live next to.  I just can't see their house from mine, we are neighbors but there is a lot of land between us.  They were just by chance out getting their mail, when they saw the flames.
Well my friends.. that is all for now, I better get out in the field working before my dad yells at me, since he came up here to help this weekend :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts