Wednesday, November 30, 2011

great friends and family

I haven't felt like talking much.. and I'm here today... Monday my best friend Mel surprised me at work. She came in just before lunch.. She drove over 200 miles to see me.. I ran up to her and just hugged her neck and started crying up a storm. She made me so happy just showing up. she knew her best shittin' friend was hurting.. so she came to rescue me..
we went for "messican" just for old time sakes..
and she sat at my office with me until closing time..
and My father showed up around 5pm.. I was really glad to see him as well.... and I will tell you what..between them and Clint it really lifted my spirits up.
I am blessed to have a great friend and loving family.
Leaving work on Monday would have been really hard.. but, I had plenty to occupy my mind.. and Mel didn't let me stop to think..
We had 15 bean soup for supper and then she told me I was going to get in the "Crimmus" spirit.. so she demanded we put up the Christmas Tree... Which we did, Then she suggested we bake cookies.. and we made like 5 dozen peanut butter cookies.. and half way through baking them.. I had the idea to add chocolate chips...
mmmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmm.. they were good..
And my father brought me up "Santa's White Christmas" ice cream... now that stuff is heavenly..  it's publix brand.. but, it's awesome..
so I made a peanut butter cookie ice cream sandwich...
 And that was that.. :)
Then Tuesday morning.. we all headed to work.. My father started building another room in my office for me and Mel helped me with patients and answered the phones and such.. Then we went on a shopping adventure to Fred's.. haha.. We got Christmas items for the office.. which is now decorated for the season. She left around 3 to head back to her side of Georgia..

I have a charlie brown Christmas tree on the reception desk in the waiting room :)

Going home yesterday got to be kinda hard.. because my father and I were talking about Max, he was our other doberman, he died 3 years ago today. And I was talking about Romeo and how I still think about that horse everyday.. and I love Maggie, but she's still not Romeo... and started crying again..
but, I sucked it up and headed to the kitchen immediately..

I made Kale and Cod... Portuguese Style..
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 pound Spanish style chorizo, casing removed and diced or crumbled
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 small bundle of  kale, thinly sliced
  • A few grates nutmeg
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes or fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • A couple sprigs fresh thyme, leaves chopped
  • 4  thick pieces cod  fillets
  • Old Bay
  • Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat in a high-sided skillet or Dutch oven. Add the chorizo and render for a couple of minutes, then add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the kale and toss to wilt, then season with a few grates of nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal.

Reheat sauce, covered, in high-sided skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce is hot and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season the fish with seafood seasoning or paprika and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the fish to the sauce and cover. Cook until the fish is opaque and cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Ladle into shallow bowls garnished with parsley.

it was very very good.. Then My Cowboy brought in the first of the holiday gifts... and we all tore that up.. and sat around the tables telling stories of Max, Vegas and Bailey.. All of our buddies that have passed.
The three of us had a  great supper and laughed at the memories we had of our dogs...
This morning was hard... I went in the bathroom after turning off the alarm clock.. and Maya came busting through the door.. she made me so sad, but at the same time she was so happy I was awake I just loved all over her..

I've had some moments today.. but, I'm staying busy..

No comments:

Post a Comment