Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains

Thursday we hooked the harley up to the motorhome and got ready for our dash out of town on Friday afternoon.

We were meeting a few friends up there to ride the tail of the dragon..


Friday, we both got home fairly early.. and we headed up towards the Great Smoky Mountains...

before we hit Asheville, my cowboy looked at me and said.. "i'm getting tired.. you need to drive".. I said "ok" and I was completely figuring that he was going to pull over.. nope.. he set the cruise control and said.. get ready.. so we switched seats driving up I-26...  I think he conveniently got tired so he didn't have to drive through traffic in Asheville.. Well we finally make it onto I-40 west.. and he made me drive through all those winding mountain turns on the west end of Asheville... I felt like a granny driving like 40 miles an hour.. but holy crap the motorhome felt top heavy... We finally cross the Tennessee state line and got off about 9 miles later...  Once we hit the foothills parkway I pulled over and let my cowboy drive us there the rest of the way..
we roll up into our campground.. where it was definitely a nice campground.. but was totally ran by two type A personality people...
she told me where and what to do.. and how to ride the motorcycle through the campground and when quiet time was.. and what trolly line ran us back here... and i just nodded and smiled....
then her husband tried to tell my cowboy how to unload the trailer and where to put it.. and holy crap.. it was comical...
Souvenir photo from the show
But, shortly after I got the slide outs put out, our friends Eric and Sharyl showed up. and we headed off towards the Hatfields and McCoy show...
which was hilarious..
and during the intermission, like after you eat and they play some music.. which was all blue grass.. it was awesome..
anyways.. the intermission.. they start showing closeup shots of people in the audience and writing captions underneath their picture.. well I'm watching the big TV screen and I catch a glimpse of my cowboy on there. and he leans back all nonchalantly and stick his finger in his nose and starts just a diggin' for gold... I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath...  he diggin' in there real good.. pulls out a fake booger rolls it around and flicks it off his finger and goes back for more... the whole place was hysterical laughing.. I was crying I was laughing so hard..
The Old Mill
then after the show, people were coming up to him and saying.. that was funny.. and all.. and this one lady said "i'd shake your hand, but I know where it's been" hahahaha..
that was great...
that pretty much ended the evening..  we woke up and met our other friends at this place called Flapjacks.. holy crap.. i usually don't like buttermilk pancakes.. but theirs was awesome.. hahah
I ordered an omelet and it came with 2 "flapjacks" I ate all my breakfast.. but skipped lunch.. :)
Once sharyl and Eric were done with their 'time share seminar for staying in Gatlinburg for free', they met us at the old Mill..  which they were having a heritage festival..
holy crap..  I went into the candy shop.. and i bought like way too much fudge.. and then went into the old mill shop and bought some stone ground grits and cornmeal :)

Well we had originally planed to Ride the Tail of the Dragon..... *insert eerie music*

and we were all on our way to go there.. until we found out it was going to be like a 5-6 hour trip there and back... and my butt did not want to be stuck to the motorcycle that long..
so.. we opted to go to Cade's cove instead.. I love me some Cade's Cove..  Here are some of the pictures from Cade's Cove



Yes we saw a bear... and I tried to get closer to it.. but, this is as close as I could get.. before the joker ran off.. I reckon he's afraid of loud pipes hahah..

After our ride through cade's cove we wet to the Apple Barn, another favorite of mine.. and we all had supper there. then went to the winery for some nasty wine tasting...  the only one I liked was the muscadine wine.. so I bought a bottle of that and stuffed it in the saddle bags on the bike..

and that was pretty much our little 2 day trip to the smokies..  it has always been a favorite memory of mine... I have a lot of great memories of going there with my parents and it was just really nice to see that place again..

On our way home, we stopped at the western north carolina farmer's market.. and I got some produce and two big ole pumpkins :)





Comments

Popular Posts