Monday, September 2, 2013

Salsa di pomodoro alla siciliana and Venison Parmigiana

Today May be Labor Day... but, I'm laboring at work...  I won't be here Thursday and Friday, so I opted to work this day....  I might be able to get caught up on some paperwork that piles up...
People think being a Doctor is all fun and games and mad rollin' in the dough ray meeee... but, I have so much paperwork to do it sucks.. haha. not to mention keeping up with medicare changes and coding/billing changes that are coming down the line.... bad stuff I tell you.. but, I'm not here to complain about the current administrations pipe dreams and changes... I'm here to tell you I'm a lucky girl..

Anyways...  Friday my mom and I went down to Columbia for some overdue Retail therapy.... to which I bought some stuff that wasn't needed... but I did buy some cologne for my cowboy.. the lady stopped me while I was walking by and asked me if I wanted to smell it... to which I wound up buying it.. Vince Camuto or something like that.. it smells delicious...
Then Saturday rolled around and My washing machine broke... I mean water was overflowing everywhere....  ugh...  but, we worked on the barn and I cleaned out the chicken houses and pittled around doing much needed stuff and decorating for fall :)

I'm thinking seeing falling leaves on the ground means that fall is really on it's way.. so I'm ready for it...   Also, I heard some old wives tale about the thickness of the corn husks and silk corresponding to the coldness of the winter.. and if that is the case.. that also points to the fact that.. this is going to be a butt kicking winter :) which I'm also ready for..

 I rode Spartan Saturday during the hottest part of the day.. Like a retard on my part... and ...  he was pissy.. and then I got pissy with him.. and we had a fight for a hot minute.. and then he started doing what I wanted.. and then I let him quit....
and I took him to hose him down and cool him off a bit....
I don't think he has ever had a bath before... he was angry with me.... wheeee doggie...
but. he got over it..
Spartan standing like a wet dog...


So Sunday, we went to church on the harley :) and the preacher wanted to hear some of the things from the church going people that God has done to bless us....  I don't talk a lot in front of big crowds... so I kept my mouth shut... but, I thought to myself... I'm blessed to have a loving husband, a roof over my head, loving animals, really good horses and our beautiful land... and I don't really worry about much..
But, I decided to make a good italian meal Sunday.. like a good Sunday meal...
Started out with a good bottle of wine.. this is my favorite..
Just all around favorite..

I started making this dish buy making the sauce.. or as Italians call it.. Salsa di pomodoro alla siciliana

real good Tomatoes
If you don't use canned tomatoes you can use 3lbs of fresh tomatoes and a food mill....


1 med onion, thinly sliced and chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Garlic, onion olio saute
some extra virgin olive oil

take a sauce pan and add the olive oil, I'm not sure how much, because I don't measure.. I do like one turn around the bottom of the pan... then heat that up the olive oil, and add the garlic and onions and sauté them until they are tender and translucent, and add the red crushed pepper, to taste.. I like it spicy, so I add a lot.  once that is all aromatic and smelling good, add the tomatoes either milled or the peeled canned. mix that all in then add:

2-3 tbsp fresh parsley
Fresh Basil and 
Oregano to taste

mix that in again... then add:

1 Can of tomato paste

and set the stove to low put the cover on the pot and let it thicken, while you make the parmigiana

I made venison Parm.. so I used cube steaks....

Cube steak, egg wash and bread crumbs

speaking of Bread crumbs, you can either buy italian seasoned canned.. or make them with stale bread.. if you don't have any stale bread, bake slices of bread in the oven until it's hard.. then break them up and put them in the food processor with basil, oregano and garlic powder....

I take the cube steaks, bath them in egg, then bread them with bread crumbs..  and the egg is the usual, 2 eggs and pour some milk in there and mix it together..

Then fry the cube steaks like you fry anything.. take them out and dry them on a paper towel

Venison frying

you also need to make pasta, so just follow the directions on the box, but, I like mine a little hard, so I cook penne, for instance, for about 7 - 9 minutes or until it's al dente.

But, after you are done frying the venison, check the thickness of the sauce..

Sauce


and then plate your food, put a piece or two of meat on the plate, put the pasta on the dish, and then cover with sauce... then grate some parmesan cheese on top and call it done :)

Venison Parmigiana with Salsa di pomodoro alla siciliana
Fall table decorations



No comments:

Post a Comment