Thoroughbreds and a Fig Galette

This whole being home on the weekends thing is awesome..
but, that's all going to change for September...
Friday Night, we went to get the two Thoroughbreds and we got back home after dark.. and It was a fiasco... I had really forgotten how crazy those Hot blooded race horses were..
but, after Jojo took out two fences.. we finally got them settled down.. and they are coming around and are very sweet.
Lil girl is on stall rest for 3 months.. she was racing two weekends ago and got ran into by another horse and kicked her while it was running and chipped her knee. and the other one, Jojo, bowed a tendon.  Jojo can be out and about, but she didn't want to be away from Lil Girl, so they are in stalls together..
Jojo

I'm a member of a Jockey Club hash

Lil Girl

well then Saturday, we went up to our trainers to pick up my poor Ragnar.  he looked like a broken horse when I got there.. his eyes were lifeless and dead looking.. I think he thought I had given him up..  when I was saddling him up I told him he needed to cheer up or I was about to cry with him..
but, we got into the arena, warmed up and I rode a pattern on him.. and he was amazing..
so I told him he did great and was coming home and coming to Easterns with me..  Once I untacked him and tied him to our trailer he bounced back to life.. poor fella..

I also rode Nutter Butter and Heidi that day.. and Clint rode Cocaine and Tattoo...
""I'm sexy and I know it""

that pretty much summed up Saturday.. we got home and I grilled sausages and asparagus and we sat in the back yard at the picnic table and listened to some music...
Sunday we got up and rode the bikes to church.. then went to have lunch at the mexican place.. then came back home.. and started on the stock trailer, we ripped out the floor in that and then went to the hardware store and got some wood for the floor.. then came home.  I had to run to the grocery store and so I did that, and I came home and found my dad working not he trailer with my Cowboy... so I figured I wasn't needed, so I finished some laundry,  made a fig Galette with figs that my dad had brought over.. then checked on the thoroughbreds in the barn.. spent some time with them, gave them carrots..which only Jojo ate.. then came back in the house to start on supper.

I call this a Kitchen sink italian dish ;)

Sauteed all kinds of veggies, kalamata olives and capers spiced up with some hot italian sausage and paced over a pasta of your choice...

But, The Fig Galette was awesome...





Fig Galette

  • 1 pie crust (I use crisco recipe)
  • 1 1/2 pounds figs, quartered
  • 1/4 cup jam (any kind) I used peach
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough to a 12-ish-inch diameter round of even thickness. Place on a baking dish. I used a tart pan

2 Spread marmalade on the dough, leaving a 2-inch border along the edges. Arrange the quartered figs in a circular pattern, again leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle sugar over the figs.

3 Fold the 2-inch bordered edge of the crust over the figs.

4 Place in the middle rack of the oven. Bake at 375°F for 45-50 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbly.

Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.  

I served mine up with Frozen Yogurt.  I like that better than Ice Cream.

Comments

Popular Posts